Re: Debian and IDE RAID?

> I know times change, and I\'m wondering if anyone could advise me if
there\'s an
> IDE RAID controller out there that works well with Debian, in RAID1
(mirror)
> mode? Or would I be better off just scrapping the idea, and going with
single
> drives or software RAID?

www.arcoide.com

I have ArcoIDE RAID-1 cards running in 2 debian servers. The cards don't
require a driver, the machine detects an ArcoIDE hard drive instead of the
Maxtor, Western Digital, IBM, etc. you actually have installed.  The drives
don't need to be identical in size or geometry, the included bootable floppy
will 'create' the mirror set the same as the smallest drive.

For the non-hot-swap unit, you must use the bootable floppy to rebuild the
array after a failure. For the hot-swap (RAIDcase) you can use kernel
patches to auto-rebuild, although I have not used this feature.

As a side note, I have heard the recommendation that instead of RAID-1,
simply backup the primary drive to the backup on a regular basis, and you
will avoid many hassles when deleting a critical file. I see this as a
decent idea, however I am not sure how easy this would be when upgrading
kernels or changing hardware (or any files in /dev).

Tony Wasson