Re: Debian and IDE RAID?

Danijel Pajur said:

> Thanks Nate!
>
> Yes, this would work for me perfectly, I\'m not even worried if there\'s a
> slight  performance loss, as long as I can recover from a drive failure.
> Is there a how- to on setting it up to boot from software raid1?
>
> I\'ll probably be installing Debian from 3.0 ISO images, I haven\'t
> downloaded  them yet though, and would like to know if you can just set up
> the software  raid1 from there and partition/install the system?

There may be a HOWTO, I haven't read any HOWTOs though, I can
give a quick rundown of how I do it, which requires a spare disk
to install to:

(I have not yet tried debian 3.0 from scratch so I will reference
from debian 2.2)

1) install the core debian2.2 system on a disk, any disk, just not the
disks you plan to use for raid
2) dist-upgrade to woody
2) I install the kernel sources(2.2.19) raid0.90 patch(hard to find),
and my other kernel patches, compile the kernel and include raid
support
3) install the raidtools2 package
4) reboot with new kernel, connect raid drives to slave controller
5) make a floppy boot disk, I think I used the command mkrescue
6) setup the raid array according to the docs in /usr/share/doc/raidtools2
7) format the array(if your using 2.4.x filesystem no problem, if
your using 2.2.x pretty much your only option is ext2)
8) go down to runlevel 1 (init 1)
9) mount raid array on /new
10) copy all data (cp -a) from old drive to new drive(except /proc)
11) mkdir /new/proc
12) edit /new/etc/fstab and change the root partition to /dev/md0
13) shutdown
14) move raid disks to primary controller(*)
15) power up, boot with boot disk, tell it root=/dev/md0
16) if it comes up, edit /etc/lilo.conf (if your using lilo) and change
the config to reflect the new root filesystem
17) run lilo
18) remove boot disk, reboot
19) hope it comes up
(I may of forgotten something...hope not!)

* there is a catch, its beena while since I've done this on IDE, but
when using SCSI I had to keep the drives in the exact same configuration
before using the spare drive to install as after using the spare drive.
that is my raid array was /dev/sda sdb sdc, depending on where my
spare drive was it may of screwed that order up, screwing up the raid
array. so you may have to use the bootdisk earlier in the process or
reconfigure the disks so this happens. since your doing a fresh install
theres no harm in screwing it up the first or seocnd times around.

there may be an easier way to do this, I've done this about 4 times on
SCSI systems and 1 time on an IDE system.

good luck!

nate