Re: Woody 'problems'

On Sun, 2002-08-25 at 17:35, john gennard wrote:

> But I haven't upgraded to XF86Config-4 as yet. I've stayed with the
> 2.2.20 kernel.

Kernel version and X version (to which /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 belongs to)
have nothing to do with each other. What does 'dpkg -l|grep xfree' say?
Also, XFree86 is at version 4.1 in woody.

> > Do you have etherconf installed? dpkg-reconfigure says this even
> > if the package is not installed at all.
>

> This I don't know. What package is it in?

Package name is simply etherconf. Also, it is in all releases:
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=etherconf&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all

What does 'dpkg -l etherconf' say?

> I've put all seven Woody
> CD's into /etc/apt/sources.list, and 'apt-cache show etherconf'
> gives the response 'unable to locate package etherconf'. What am I
> failing to understand?

No idea. Did you apt-get update after adding package sources? For me
it's there:

mario@sonic:~$ apt-cache search etherconf
etherconf - debconf interface to Ethernet device configuration
mario@sonic:~$

This is my sources.list (no CD sources though):

# woody
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ woody main non-free contrib
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US/ woody/non-US main contrib
non-free
deb http://security.debian.org woody/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ woody main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US/ woody/non-US main
contrib non-free

Choose an appropriate mirror at
http://www.debian.org/misc/README.mirrors and
http://www.debian.org/misc/README.non-US

Please provide the info requested and maybe poke around a bit.
Kind regards, M.