Re: Woody 'problems'

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 07:03:33PM +0100, john gennard wrote:

> c. Can anyone point me to a simple explanation about USB. I shall be
> using a printer, scanner, webcam and memory card reader. The mboard
> has the capability for two connections, so I'll probably start with
> the printer and scanner and later add more ports with a PCI card.
> I thought I'd reconfigured the kernel correctly, but as I get over
> 50 booting messages about usb I now wonder. Something basic to start
> me off could enable me to see what I'm dealing with.

USB spits out a large number of messages under normal operation.  Every
time it recognizes a device, is spits out about 5 or 6 lines (which counts
the hub which is built into your motherboard).  Several of these you can
reproduce at your leisure by disconnecting and reconnecting your USB
devices.

Rather than getting another PCI card, you probably would be better off
getting a USB hub.  But also keep in mind that USB devices are hot
pluggable, so until you get a hub, you can always just keep disconnecting
one device every time you need to use another one.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/