Re: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 RL

Robin,

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 can be your friend.  Here's how I did it on
my machines.

apt-get install read-edid mdetect (not necessary, but darned handy.
read-edid will attempt to detect the video modes of your monitor and mdetect
will attempt the same with your mouse.)

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 and allow dpkg to handle the XF 86Config-4
file.  If this recognizes your monitor (in advanced monitor characteristics),
it should write the file correctly.  If it does not accurately detect your
monitor's supported video modes, you can specify them manually or use one of
the other options.

I just built a new box today with the new TX chipset using the new 4.2.0 debs
and it worked flawlessly first time (i386 architecture).

I'm really no XF86 expert.  I just happen to like this card and tend to
default to it.

hope this helps.

bob