Re: ATI Radeon 8500 & Woody

ceidleigh@runbox.com wrote:

I have Woody installed, but alas, can't get X running. Using an ATI Radeon 8500 and an ASUS P4B533 motherboard. Apparently XFree86 prior to V 4.2 does not support my ATI card. Anyone have this combination and successfully got it working on a Woody box? Oh, I have tried, but no luck yet. Got the card working with most distros I have tried - Libranet, Slackware, RH, and Mandrake 9 Beta. But not Woody or OpenBSD and OpenBSD includes XFree 4.2. But that is another story.

There are unofficial "unofficial" drivers for this card by ATI. Check the website under driver support. Though they only offer .rpm's, I have read that alien might do the trick. As fas as XFree drivers go, you can grab Brandens pre release 4.2 debs (rev 3 now) at http://people.debian.org/~branden/. They are very reliable on my x22 thinkpad (first with woody then upgraded to sid) and glx works like a charm on the ATI mobility Radeon card.

No mention on the ATI site if their drivers support 3d.

Now, if someone would only write a driver for a Radeon 9700 Pro..... lol

Nick Lidakis