Re: Mutt or KMail

* David (dbree@duo-county.com) [020823 12:45]:
> I have been using KMail for some time on my Woody system.  It seems to do
> alright, but after following some of the threads, I have been considering
> going to something like Mutt.  In fact, I reinstalled Mutt and have been
> experimenting with it.
>
> However, I'm not sure whether I need to make this change or not..  My
> system is strictly a single-user one.  I do have Exim installed, and it
> handles in-system messages, but as of yet, don't have it configured to do
> fetchmail/sendmail.. I simply deal directly with my POP server.  And,
> AFAICT, Mutt can download mail directly, from remote, but cannot send
> there.

Right.  Mutt is not an MTA, and many mutt developers and users will tell
you that no MUA should pretend to be an MTA.  An MTA is a non-trivial
component that is not easily integrated into an MUA without significant
loss of functionality, you might hear.

> So, would it be worthwhile for me to convert?  One of the incentives is the
> fact that Mutt is "modern" in the way it deals with inline attachements,

Well, I've never used kmail, but mutt has always been good to me.  If
there's something kmail isn't doing for you that mutt is, give it a
shot.  There's no reason to abandon kmail while test-driving mutt,
though.  Give it a spin, and if you don't like it, go back.  It's worth
mentioning, though, that mutt really grows on you once you start
tweaking it to your liking.  If there's anything about your default
install that you don't like, chances are you can easily change it so
that you do like it.  It really gets great when you get all your hooks
set up and your views and bindings customized, and you start to wonder
how you ever used anything else.  For mutt configuration help, your best
bet is probably the mutt users' mailing list at mutt-users@mutt.org .

> etc.. and it appears that KMail isn't.. Also, if I do switch, would it be
> best to let Exim do all the mail downloads as well as uploads, or would it

Exim does not speak POP, neither as client nor server.  It will not
fetch your mail from another mailserver.

> be just as well to let  Mutt fetch the mail and simply let Exim send it?
> Are there any advantages or disadvanteges in doing it either way?

I find that the cleanest way to get my mail from a mailserver is a
python program called getmail.  Fetchmail is quirky at best, and getting
it set up with your mailserver without borking headers and/or losing
mail can be a daunting task.  getmail, on the other hand, simply
retrieves mail from your pop server and delivers it to a local mbox,
maildir, or mda (i.e. maildrop or procmail).  It's probably more like
what you're used to seeing kmail doing.

I've never used Mutt's POP functionality; getmail is robust enough and
simple enough that it's the right tool for the job for me.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/