Re: DSL Problems back (after apt-get upgrade)

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 05:15:54PM -0400, Phil Beder wrote:

| > OK... need the following info.  I will try to explain why
| >  as I go along.
| >
| > 1.  What did you "upgrade"? (kernel 2.2.20 --> 2.4.18
| >  perhaps? needed for next question.  Also am looking for
| >  info on what changed, in general, here)
|
| NO   I had Kernel 2.2.17 installed from CDs.  after I got
|  the DSL line configured, I issued 2 commands
| apt-get upgrade
| and then
| apt-get upgrade-dist -u

This isn't an actual command.  You probably mean 'apt-get dist-upgrade -u'.
The important information is what that command printed out.  It shows
you what it changed on your system, and you need to pay attention so
that you know what happened!

| the sources file were set to:
[stable]
| I'm just thinking,  did I go from potato to woddy?

Perhaps.  What do the CDs have on them?

| would that be a problem?
| ~~~~~~~~~

No, but that gives me a guess as to what your problem might be.

| > 3.  If the above don't get you going, then what does
| >  "ifconfig" say now?
|
| When I enter ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.21 ifconfig 0a reports
|  everything is fineI can ping everything local including
|  the DSL router (192.168.1.1)

That sounds good.

The ifupdown package changed some details regarding the format of the
/etc/network/interfaces file.  I don't know if this was a
potato->woody change or a slink->potato change.  The difference is
whether or not interfaces are automatically brought up.  On my
woody/sarge/sid systems I have an "auto <name>" line for each
interface I want automatically brought up.  Thus the file looks like

    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.2
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.0.1

If you are lacking the 'auto' line then that is why your network isn't
available after a reboot.

| > I can't answer the question about man right now.  A
| >  better explaination of the steps you did up to this
| >  point would help also.
|
| I'll go look for the man-db andmanpages.dev now.

Use 'dpkg -l' to find out whether or not you have a given package
installed.

-D

--
> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0