Re: DSL Problems back (after apt-get upgrade)

> OK... need the following info.  I will try to explain why
>  as I go along.
>
> 1.  What did you "upgrade"? (kernel 2.2.20 --> 2.4.18
>  perhaps? needed for next question.  Also am looking for
>  info on what changed, in general, here)

NO   I had Kernel 2.2.17 installed from CDs.  after I got
 the DSL line configured, I issued 2 commands
apt-get upgrade
and then
apt-get upgrade-dist -u

the sources file were set to:
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib
 nonfree
deb http://non.us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US
 main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updtaes main contrib
 non-free

I'm just thinking,  did I go from potato to woddy?  would
 that be a problem?
~~~~~~~~~

> 2.  Which NIC do you have? (the module for the
>  RealTek8139 chipsets changed between the two kernels.
>   In 2.4.XX kernels it is the 8139too.o module).

NIC is an intel 82557 (Ethernet Pro 100)
driver: eepro100.o
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> 3.  If the above don't get you going, then what does
>  "ifconfig" say now?

When I enter ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.21 ifconfig 0a reports
 everything is fineI can ping everything local including
 the DSL router (192.168.1.1)
the route -n command returns all infor EXCEPT THE GATEWAY
 (0.0.0.0)

 4.  "" "" "", then what does "route" say now?

> 5.  "" "" "", then what does "lsmod" say now?
lsmod shows the eepro100
> 6.  "" "" "", then what does "lspci" say now?

same as always
I'll go look for the man-db andmanpages.dev now.