Re: DSL Problems back (after apt-get upgrade)

Phil Beder wrote:
OK... need the following info.  I will try to explain why
as I go along.

1.  What did you "upgrade"? (kernel 2.2.20 --> 2.4.18
perhaps? needed for next question.  Also am looking for
info on what changed, in general, here)

NO   I had Kernel 2.2.17 installed from CDs.  after I got
 the DSL line configured, I issued 2 commands
apt-get upgrade
and then
apt-get upgrade-dist -u

I think that should have been "apt-get dist-upgrade"

the sources file were set to:
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib
 nonfree
deb http://non.us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US
 main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updtaes main contrib
 non-free

I'm just thinking,  did I go from potato to woddy?  would
 that be a problem?
~~~~~~~~~
> -SNIP- <

It sure sounds like it! I cannot say for sure since I don't have your CD. IIRC, the 2.2.17 kernel was on the early versions of Potato, but the more recent version have used either the 2.2.19 or 2.2.20 kernel. I am not sure of this since I haven't followed the Potato releases for quite a while.

I seem to recall there were some significant upgrades to dpkg, debconf and apt before the release of Woody and a sucessful Woody install depends on having the latest versions on your system. I would refer you to the Woody Release Notes, section 3.5 for more specific info on how to upgrade from a previous release: (http://www.debian.org/releases/woody/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html) I suspect you have a mix of Potato / Woody stuff on your computer now, and are probably missing a few rather important files.

It is possible to sort this out IF you can get your DSL connection working again. At present, I don't have any further suggestions on how to do this. If you DO get it running, make sure you first upgrade dpkg, apt, and debconf individually, then do an "apt-get dist-upgrade" or any of the other methods described in the Release Notes.

Practically speaking, if your DSL connection is reasonably fast, I would just grab the Woody boot-floppies and do a Network install. I have done this here many times over a Cable Modem and it works great. It all depends upon how much time you want to spend trying to get the current install into some sort of working shape to be able to d/l from the net.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe a more learned person will jump in here and point out a better solution..

Cheers & Good Luck!
-Don Spoon-