Re: Equation editors [Was: Re: CUPS]

David:

Another alternative is "groff" which I use extensively for class notes
as well as major documents.  I have attached the source for a sample
equation, and the postscript output for your review.  "groff" seems
somewhat terse (typical UNIX), but is quite effective.  The example uses
the "ms" macro package, plus some equation aliases.  Th second equation
has the aliases removed.

Dean

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 01:23:34AM -0400, David P James wrote:
> Rob Weir wrote:
> >On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 10:20:35AM -0400, David P James wrote:
> >
> >>original location. In this regard WPO2K is probably the worst offender
> >>and if it weren't for the poorly-implemented equation editors and lack
> >>of 'reveal codes' in everything else I'd soon switch away from it (I
> >>would actually like to see Anyware Office, but I'd have to pay for it
> >>before I got to see it. Still, it, unlike anything else, claims to be
> >>able to open WordPerfect files).
> >

> >Have you considered LyX?  It has one of the nicest equation editor's
> >I've seen, plus uses LaTeX for it's rendering back-end.  Eliminates file
> >gratuitous, proprietary file format lock-in forever.
> >

> I have, several months ago and just now. I spent an hour trying to
> figure it out, reading the tutorial, etc. And frankly, I can't stand it.
> It's enormously frustrating, even for equations. For instance, my usual
> test of equation editors is how it displays the 'unbiased estimator of
> the error variance' in statistics, for which we always use a squared
> sigma topped with a circonflex/hat (and only the sigma should be topped
> - not the "squared" bit of the squared sigma). LyX will apparently do
> this after much fuss with cursor shifting and mouse clicking, but even
> then I am unsure as to what it actually looks like (as it is, the
> circonflex looks kind of dubious). Nor could I print with it, owing
> partially to its tendency to spit out tonnes of pointless options that
> are far better dealt with by a printing front-end such as kprinter or
> qtcups. At any rate both WP and OpenOffice have far easier to use
> equation editors as far as I am concerned, using the following code in
> their respective equation editors:
>
> sigma hat ^2
>
> and, for OOo;
>
> hat %sigma^2
>
> The only problem is that OpenOffice has the hat (^) floating miles above
> the sigma, whether or not the sigma is squared. It does this in the
> printed version as well. I'm actually quite disappointed that the
> much-touted MathML is apparently responsible for this. WordPerfect's
> problem is that this comes out as an image and, whilst not a problem
> with one or two small equations, if done repeatedly in large equations
> there is a danger of crashing the application as it is running under
> wine. Still, at this point, WordPerfect is what I'll continue using,
> albeit mindful of its potential to go down.
>
> If anyone has Anyware Office installed though, I'd be interested in
> knowing what my circonflex-topped sigma squared looks like :)
>
> Here are my prof's relevant notes from last year, for reference, luckily
> all on page 1 (written with ... MS Word):
> http://www.econ.queensu.ca/walras/custom/300/351A/ovrnot06.pdf
>
> --
> David P. James
> Ottawa, Ontario
> http://members.rogers.com/dpjames/
>
> The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
> [...]

				Dean Provins
		dprovins@ucalgary.ca,  provinsd@telusplanet.net
Linux is a stimulating and productive alternative to other PC operating systems.
.so /home/provinsd/docs/s/eqn.s         \" aliases for "sup', "fr" etc.
.LP                                     \" necessary for this example
.EQ "with aliases"
sigma hat ` 2 = {sum fr n=0 to N (x _ i - mu )} ov (N-2)
.EN
.EQ "without aliases"
sigma hat sup 2 = {sum from n=0 to N (x _ i - mu )} over (N-2)
.EN