Re: CUPS

Patrick Wiseman wrote:
On Sat, 17 Aug 2002, Rob Weir wrote:

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 03:09:26PM -0400, Patrick Wiseman wrote:

The CUPS documentation _says_ that it provides both 'lp' and 'lpr' but, at

The 'lpr' command is in the cupsys-bsd package, since, AFAIK, it is only
required for compatibility with apps that can't be reconfigured to use
'lp' instead.

Aha!  That should have occurred to me, 'lpr' being from BSD.

For what it is worth, I have a script to replace 'lpr' that calls up 'qtcups' or 'kprinter' instead. I especially like kprinter with its other options - print to fax, print to postscript, pdf, etc. Because I also use WPO2K though, it had to be modified to get rid of apparently unchangeable arguments that WPO passes by default when printing. Before I replaced it though I backed 'lpr' up elsewhere so it can still be called up by giving the full path - in my smb.conf for instance.

Having done this, I admit that I would much prefer it if all programs would simply allow you to specify the print command, thereby removing the need for such a script and allowing 'lpr' to live in peace in its original location. In this regard WPO2K is probably the worst offender and if it weren't for the poorly-implemented equation editors and lack of 'reveal codes' in everything else I'd soon switch away from it (I would actually like to see Anyware Office, but I'd have to pay for it before I got to see it. Still, it, unlike anything else, claims to be able to open WordPerfect files).

--
David P. James
Ottawa, Ontario

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV