Re: KBear

Tinus Kotzé wrote:
I looked a previous thread and saw someone recommending KBear for a nice
ftp client with nice GUI. I tried it and it looked very nice and
promissing. I just have this problem... It starts fine and seems to
browse my own local directories nice. Only problem is that as soon as I
try to connect to ANY ftp site, it freezes. I then just start gftp and
it works fine. I am running Debian Unstable, custom kernel based on
2.4.18. my preferred window manager is KDE and I would like to keep my
programs I use to the window manager.

any advise would be really nice. I normally kill KBear with KDE System
guard and user% at about 30-40% and stil slowly climbing.

Thanx in advance
Tinus

That was me that made the post.

Quite frankly, the only reason I mentioned it was that the original post was about a FTP client with a GUI interface. He responded to me via E-Mail that he had tried to use it, but couldn't get it to compile under KDE3. I am using KDE 2.2.2 from Woody here, and it seems to work OK on a mixed Debian testing/unstable system. I use it mainly to move files and directories around my home LAN, and have not used it much on external sites. The posted transfer speeds seem a bit slower to me, and for my use the command-line clients work just as well in most cases.

Dunno what to tell you about your troubles, except for the KDE version thing. If you are running KDE3, then it might still have a few bugs in it. It might be worth your time to post this question on the Debian KDE list..

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-