Re: [Semi-OT]: Win4Lin

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Jamin W. Collins wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 14:59:30 -0500
> Michael Jinks <mjinks@uchicago.edu> wrote:
>
> > So you can audition Linux distros, play around with weird configurations
> > that you wouldn't trust on real hardware, and even do some
> > quasi-mainframe style multi-image network serving if your machine has
> > sufficient muscle, none of which has anything to do with Windows at all.
>
> Exactly!  It also comes in very handy for keeping three or four small
> virgin systems around for software development testing and end user
> support.

AHHhhh A reason to decide between between Wine, Win4Lin and VMWare.

I want VMWare. I want to "audition" Sarge while I run Woody, to be of
service to Debian by testing Sarge, and practice the installation.

Besides, I occasionally need run a Word XP to generate a doc file for $$
from unenlightened folk at my publisher (I love 'em, it is just the
Windows .doc file requirement that annoys.)

Y'know though, I can almost buy a suitable machine for testing Sarge for
the price of VMWare, but will Wine run Word XP?

May be I'm shouting too soon. Anybody have any comments?

David