KBear

I looked a previous thread and saw someone recommending KBear for a nice
ftp client with nice GUI. I tried it and it looked very nice and
promissing. I just have this problem... It starts fine and seems to
browse my own local directories nice. Only problem is that as soon as I
try to connect to ANY ftp site, it freezes. I then just start gftp and
it works fine. I am running Debian Unstable, custom kernel based on
2.4.18. my preferred window manager is KDE and I would like to keep my
programs I use to the window manager.

any advise would be really nice. I normally kill KBear with KDE System
guard and user% at about 30-40% and stil slowly climbing.

Thanx in advance
Tinus