Re: List postings as attachments

In muc.lists.debian.user, you wrote:

>> The PGP-MIME RFCs are "Proposed Standards".  I suppose MS could
>> claim they don't want to implement the standard until it's
>> finalized, but I would find that disingenuous in the extreme.
>
> So, this is a non-finalized standard??

Right.

> People shout out "but it's a standard and MS chooses to ignore
> it" when it doesn't appear to be (yet). MS could very well use
> the arguement you suggest and they are perfectly valid in doing
> so.

They could.

> Why should they chase an RFC that's "in progress" ?? Oh,
> because mutt, evolution, etc, etc do so, right ?? <g>

Well, designing something like an MUA so that it works well
with other MUAs would seem to be the obvious thing to do --
unless you're of a particularly xenophoibic take-over-the-world
mind.

> I know MS doesn't follow standards in many, many cases. But in
> this case, are they to do it "because everyone else does" ??

That would seem to be the common sense approach.

> That doesn't make it a standard.

No it doesn't, but:

 1) There is a proposed standard (and only one proposed standard).

 2) Everbody else has implimented the proposed standard.

Anybody who claims they don't want to impliment the standard
until it's final is just being obtuse -- I suspect the real
motivation is to intentionally reduce interoperability in an
attempt to force users of Non-MS MUAs to switch to Outlook.
That's a typical position for MS to take.  I think it's bad for
MS in the long run, but they don't ask me about such things...

> Note: I'm only half-serious in all of this bickering back and
> forth. I use mutt at home, but here, I don't have that option.
> Don't suggest I get a different job that allows me to use
> linux or anything non-MS either please.

OK, I won't.   We're forced to use Outlook where I work.  So I
wrote a Python program that transfers my mail between Outlook
and my Linux machine.  Hey, I'm using Outlook -- I'm just not
using a mouse to do so...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  It's so OBVIOUS!!
                                  at