Re: List postings as attachments

In muc.lists.debian.user, you wrote:

>> > I suppose you refer to the messages that have a
>> > content-type of multipart/signed? This is a standard way
>> > of signing a email message as defined by RFC 2015 (in
>> > 1996 btw).
>>
>> The right way has been defined for 6+ years and everybody but
>> MS seems to do it.  That means that after about 5 more years,
>> Microsoft will impliment a broken, incompatible version of the
>> standard and claim to have invented it.
>
> From this page, http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcfaq.html:
>
>========================
> Are all RFCs Internet standards documents?
>
> In a word, "NO!".
>
> "This is important to understand, because unscrupulous
> marketeers and a careless trade press sometimes falsely
> suggest that every RFC represents a standard..."
>
> jumped out at me. :-)

I'm not sure what your point is.

The PGP-MIME RFCs are "Proposed Standards".  I suppose MS could
claim they don't want to implement the standard until it's
finalized, but I would find that disingenuous in the extreme.

> At what point does an "RFC" become a published standard ??

The URL you referenced explains it.  Click on "Internet
standards process" at the top of that page.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Why is it that when
                                  at               you DIE, you can't take