Re: A lot of choice is not always good

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 13:35:57 -0700 (PDT), Dr Nick Jacobs wrote:

>--- Craig Dickson <crdic@pacbell.net> wrote:
>> Dr Nick Jacobs wrote:
>>
>(...)
>> > How many other programs on the
>> > CDs are unnecessary duplicates of each other?
>> > Suddenly, Debian's proud boast of including
>> > far more apps than the other distros looks
>> > very dubious.
>>
>> They're not duplicates. They're totally different
>> programs that happen
>> to do the same things.
>
>I meant unnecessary duplication of functionality.
>How careless of me not to word it more precisely.

You may want to give this a bit more thought.  Is this "unnecessary
duplication of functionality" like sports cars, sedans, limos, big
trucks, little trucks, dinghies, ultra large oil carriers, bicycles, and
busses?  They all carry a payload from here to there.  Some folks might
argue that there is a duplication of functionality here.  I wouldn't.  I
don't think you would either.
--
gt                                           kk5st@swbell.net
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving