Re: A lot of choice is not always good

On Sun, 2002-08-11 at 20:40, Gary Turner wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 13:35:57 -0700 (PDT), Dr Nick Jacobs wrote:
>

> >--- Craig Dickson <crdic@pacbell.net> wrote:
> >> Dr Nick Jacobs wrote:
> >>
> >(...)
> >>
> >> They're not duplicates. They're totally different
> >> programs that happen
> >> to do the same things.
> >
> >I meant unnecessary duplication of functionality.
> >How careless of me not to word it more precisely.
>
> You may want to give this a bit more thought.  Is this "unnecessary
> duplication of functionality" like sports cars, sedans, limos, big
> trucks, little trucks, dinghies, ultra large oil carriers, bicycles, and
> busses?  They all carry a payload from here to there.  Some folks might
> argue that there is a duplication of functionality here.  I wouldn't.  I
> don't think you would either.

Precisely.  The Soviets, I believe, build 2 cars: a dink little
sedan, and a limo for the apparatchiks.  You were definitely *not*
confused about which vehicle you could purchase.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net            |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                             |
| I can't make you have an abortion, but you can *make* me pay   |
| child support for 18 years?  However, if I want the child      |
| (and all the expenses that entails) for the *rest*of*my*life*, |
| and you don't want it for 9 months, tough luck???              |