Re: A lot of choice is not always good

--- Gary Turner <kk5st@swbell.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 13:35:57 -0700 (PDT), Dr Nick Jacobs
> wrote:
(about the 10 different ftp servers in Woody)

> You may want to give this a bit more thought.  Is this
> "unnecessary
> duplication of functionality" like sports cars, sedans,
> limos, big
> trucks, little trucks, dinghies, ultra large oil
> carriers, bicycles, and
> busses?  They all carry a payload from here to there.
> Some folks might
> argue that there is a duplication of functionality here.
> I wouldn't.

The comparison is not valid, because the wide range
of vehicles on the market offer different tradeoffs
among price, performance, comfort, compactness,
and capacity. There is much less variation in
what an ftp daemon can provide. My original message
made clear that I think there may be room for more
than one. But there are 10. TEN. I'm saying that
somebody could enhance the value of Debian by
figuring out which 5 could be eliminated from
the distro.