mp3 creation

I was looking for some advice on what people are using to create mp3's. My
task is to take .wav files from CD's (which I own) and convert them to mp3
format; I am doing this so that I can store much of my music collection on my
computer, but don't have the necessary space available to keep the files in
.wav format.

I know there are a few different mp3 encoders around, but I'm confused as to
the various descriptions, which seem to hinge around various encoding
algorithms.

What are people using and what works well for this task?

NB: I am using woody, but am willing to grab from sarge if necessary.

Thanks.
nl