Re: mp3 creation

This one time, at band camp, Neal Lippman said:
> I was looking for some advice on what people are using to create mp3's. My
> task is to take .wav files from CD's (which I own) and convert them to mp3
> format; I am doing this so that I can store much of my music collection on my
> computer, but don't have the necessary space available to keep the files in
> .wav format.
>
> I know there are a few different mp3 encoders around, but I'm confused as to
> the various descriptions, which seem to hinge around various encoding
> algorithms.
>
> What are people using and what works well for this task?
>
> NB: I am using woody, but am willing to grab from sarge if necessary.
I use grip - it has a nice GUI, easily configurable, etc.  As the
backend, I think LAME makes a nice encoder, but it is not in Debian, due
to restrictive licensing.  There are unofficial apt sources for it,
though I don't have one in front of me.  There are plenty of other
encoders out there, though, and many of them are free.  I've found the
quality to vary a fair amount, though, and that's why I returned to
LAME.

HTH,
Steve
--
An apple every eight hours will keep three doctors away.