Re: sid cleanup

On Sat, 2002-08-10 at 13:58, Stephen Gran wrote:
.
.
.
Snip
.
.
.

> What does `ls -l /etc/init.d` show?  Apparently, /etc/init.d/apache is a
> directory for some reason, and not a start/stop script, and that's why
> the postrm is failing.  Did you have apache installed, but removed it,
> or do some modifications to the init script?
> At least according to
> http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?word=apache&searchmode=filelist&case=insensitive&version=unstable&arch=i386
> it should be a standard init script.  Hmmm.
>
> Redirected back on list, by the way.  Let's keep the email there, so
> other people who have this problem can find it.  If you're not
> subscribed, I'll be happy to CC: you.
> Steve
> --

Some history and some progress:

After the first install of netsaint failed, I tried to install apache,
which also broke. I tried to apt-get remove both, but that also failed
("Package apache is not installed, so not removed") Attempting to
removing netsaint gave : "dpkg: error processing netsaint (--remove):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal."

In an attempt to get rid of messages about a missing /etc/init.d/apache
that I got when trying to remove netsaint, I,(guilty feelings here), did
a mkdir apache in init.d but left the directory empty  The messages
changed but did not go away.

Now I have removed the init.d/apache directory and replaced it with an
executable but empty file called apache. Then I did an apt-get install
of netsaint again, with some success.  Lots of dependencies were
installed, but in the end I got the messages:

 netsaint

I then tried another update/upgrade, and got these messages, which at
least are new:

Setting up netsaint (0.0.7c-0.3) ...
htpasswd: error while loading shared libraries: libdb.so.2: cannot open
dpkg: error processing netsaint (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127

So libdb.so.2 is the problem now? Or might I now remove netsaint and/or
apache - they seem to depend on each other.?