Re: sid cleanup

This one time, at band camp, Phil Reardon said:
> On Sat, 2002-08-10 at 13:58, Stephen Gran wrote:
> Some history and some progress:
>
> After the first install of netsaint failed, I tried to install apache,
> which also broke. I tried to apt-get remove both, but that also failed
> ("Package apache is not installed, so not removed") Attempting to
> removing netsaint gave : "dpkg: error processing netsaint (--remove):
>  Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
>  reinstall it before attempting a removal."
>
> In an attempt to get rid of messages about a missing /etc/init.d/apache
> that I got when trying to remove netsaint, I,(guilty feelings here), did
> a mkdir apache in init.d but left the directory empty  The messages
> changed but did not go away.
>
> Now I have removed the init.d/apache directory and replaced it with an
> executable but empty file called apache. Then I did an apt-get install
> of netsaint again, with some success.  Lots of dependencies were
> installed, but in the end I got the messages:

>  netsaint
>
> I then tried another update/upgrade, and got these messages, which at
> least are new:
>
> Setting up netsaint (0.0.7c-0.3) ...
> htpasswd: error while loading shared libraries: libdb.so.2: cannot open
> dpkg: error processing netsaint (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
>

> So libdb.so.2 is the problem now? Or might I now remove netsaint and/or
> apache - they seem to depend on each other.?

OK, it looks like you might be able to apt-get install apache netsaint,
then apt-get remove --purge apche netsaint.  See how that goes for you.

Right now, netsaint is failing to install correctly, because of the
missing lib - IIRC I saw something about this lib on -devel the other
day.  It has something to do with libc6, and it seems unlikely to be
something you can fix easily.

Apache may fail to install properly, because of the whole init.d script
debacle.  Don't worry, though - fixed with dpkg -i --force-overwrite
/path/to/apache.deb.

Good luck with it.
Steve

--
Alimony is a system by which, when two people make a mistake, one of them
continues to pay for it.