Re: sid cleanup

This one time, at band camp, Phil Reardon said:
> I have a problem on my sid box, which might eventually go away by
> itself. On the other hand, it may require some action on my part.
> Perhaps you could tell me whether and how I might do some aptish cleanup
> to fix this problem:  I had a broken install of netsaint a few weeks
> ago, and since then every upgrade gives these messages,
>

> Preconfiguring packages ...
> (Reading database ... 62533 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to replace netsaint 0.0.7c-0.3 (using
> .../netsaint_0.0.7c-0.3_i386.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement netsaint ...
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/netsaint.postrm: line 49: /etc/init.d/apache: is a
> directory
> dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 126
> dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
> /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: line 49: /etc/init.d/apache: is a directory
> dpkg: error processing
> /var/cache/apt/archives/netsaint_0.0.7c-0.3_i386.deb (--unpack):
>  subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 126
> /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: line 49: /etc/init.d/apache: is a directory
> dpkg: error while cleaning up:
>  subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 126
I am not familiar with netsaint, and I don't run apache, but you could
look at /var/lib/dpkg/info/netsaint.postrm to see what is breaking
(apparently something on line 49) - it looks like it's trying to affect
apache in some way (resart it, whatever) and it's failing.  If you can't
figure out what it's trying to do on your own, post this part of the
postrm (a couple lines on each side of line 49 ought to do it) and we'll
go from there.
HTH,
Steve
--
Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.
		-- Thomas Alva Edison