Re: sid cleanup

This one time, at band camp, Phil Reardon said:
> On Sat, 2002-08-10 at 12:28, Stephen Gran wrote:

<some snippage - most important part is dpkg fails with:>

> > > /var/lib/dpkg/info/netsaint.postrm: line 49: /etc/init.d/apache: is a
> > > directory

> > I am not familiar with netsaint, and I don't run apache, but you could
> > look at /var/lib/dpkg/info/netsaint.postrm to see what is breaking
> > (apparently something on line 49) - it looks like it's trying to affect
> > apache in some way (resart it, whatever) and it's failing.  If you can't
> > figure out what it's trying to do on your own, post this part of the
> > postrm (a couple lines on each side of line 49 ought to do it) and we'll
> > go from there.

>  Here is the block of script containing line 49:
>
>                 if [ -f /etc/apache/httpd.conf ] ; then
>                 # Remove from httpd.conf (current method)
>                         perl -pe 'BEGIN { $/ = undef } ; s/\n# BEGIN FOR
> NETSAINT.*# END FOR NETSAINT\n//ms;' < /etc/apache/httpd.conf >
> /etc/apache/httpd.conf-dpkg.netsaint
>                         cp -L /etc/apache/httpd.conf-dpkg.netsaint
> /etc/apache/httpd.conf
>                 fi
>
>                 /etc/init.d/apache reload
>         fi

What does `ls -l /etc/init.d` show?  Apparently, /etc/init.d/apache is a
directory for some reason, and not a start/stop script, and that's why
the postrm is failing.  Did you have apache installed, but removed it,
or do some modifications to the init script?
At least according to
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?word=apache&searchmode=filelist&case=insensitive&version=unstable&arch=i386
it should be a standard init script.  Hmmm.

Redirected back on list, by the way.  Let's keep the email there, so
other people who have this problem can find it.  If you're not
subscribed, I'll be happy to CC: you.
Steve
--
"Live or die, I'll make a million."
-- Reebus Kneebus, before his jump to the center of the earth, Firesign Theater