Re: GRUB vs LILO

    Patrick> I have no doubt my problems with grub were down to user error.
    Patrick> But my point remains - lilo is easier to recover from.

    Patrick> Actually, for all I know the single user mode in lilo also
    Patrick> loads S20s.  Perhaps I've been a littel unfair to grub.

Anything in rcS.d will be loaded even if you use "single", which is probably
the case in your situation.  Whether or not you're using Grub does not
matter at all.

And removing that point, there is really no substance in your mail which
support that LILO is easier to recover than Grub.  After using it for a
while, I've found just the contrary: using Grub you can recover from
problems that are impossible to recover if you use LILO.  Things like you
install a new kernel (perhaps renaming it as well), removing the old one and
reboot without running lilo or update-grub.  LILO is not tolerant at all for
such faults: you need the CDs.  Grub allow you to use any file in your
system as a kernel, and you can fix things from there.

Regards,
Isaac.