Re: _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111

njacobs@yahoo.com <njacobs@yahoo.com> [2002-08-04 09:24:55 -0700]:
> I tried your suggestion anyway, setting
> "ForwardX11 yes" in $HOME/.ssh/config as
> documented in the ssh man page, and doing
> ssh -X scorpio.
> This didn't work as expected (DISPLAY on scorpio
> is scorpio:10.0 instead of orion:something),

Then you have yet another something which is doing that.  By default
ssh -X will set DISPLAY=192.168.1.2:10.0 or whatever your local host
IP address is.  It sounds to me like you are overriding that
somewhere.  Or perhaps I have missed one of the configuration options
to do just that.  SSH has many options since it needs to support many
different configurations.

SSH sets the IP address instead of the hostname to work around a bad
behavior in old X11 libraries.  If the old libs see the local host
name in DISPLAY they bypass the tunnel and go to the filesystem unix
domain socket for the connection instead.  Rude of them to do that.

The old libs were working around yet another problem where accessing
the local host machine by IP instead of local unix socket was
significantly slower since it actually sent out to the network and
back.  Bypassing the network was a big speed up for X11.  That has
been fixed and now if you go to your own network address the system
will redirect you through the loopback device and there is no speed
disadvantage to using it.  But the old libraries with the old
workaround are still lingering on many systems and it takes a while to
unwind out of all of the workarounds on top of workarounds.

> probably some other config parameter needs to
> be set, but I didn't investigate further
> because my basic problem is solved. Orion
> is not exposed to the internet, so I don't really
> need any security.

If on other machines you decide to do something similar then I agree
with Steve, you should try 'ssh -X' and use it instead.  It is a
highly functional and secure method.  Unfortunately it is off by
default and you have to set the ForwardX11 option to enable it.

Bob