Re: pgp encoding was Re: Apache / php-cgi

On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 07:12, Geoff Crompton wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 14:56, Tom Cook wrote:
> > On  0, Phillip Baker <phil@lchost.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Cheers for your reply (although confusingly my mail client has
> > > inexplicably munged it and your PGP key into attachments - probably
> > > thanks to your mail client labelling it multipart)
> >
> > *shrug* isn't that how it's supposed to be?
>
>   That is something I have been wondering about recently. I have noticed that
> KMail (1.3.2) just puts PGP stuff inline. But mutt (1.3.28i) does multipart
> mime attachements for pgp signatures. And each program doesn't understand the
> others way of doing it.
>
>   So which is the 'proper' way. Do later versions of mutt/Kmail do it the
> 'proper' way?

These are 2 legitimate ways of signing a message. I think none of them
is more 'proper' than the other.

Signing messages as multipart/signed is described in RFC 2015 and KMail
really should understand that.

My version of mutt seems to support both methods (at least when
verifying), but I don't use KMail (Evolution understands both formats
just fine by the way).

Claudio