Apache / php-cgi

Since dist-upgrading to deb 3 I've noticed that Apache is a little eager to
pass php pages over to the interpreter (Using php-cgi) - it does this before
even checking if a page exists, so a 404 turns into a 500 when php fails to
output anything (because there is no file to process).

Any thoughts on what could be causing it? I've not compiled a newer version
of php yet, but I don't believe the version of php will make any difference
to this apparent slip up by apache.

TIA,

Phil