Re: Dvorak keyboard

[...]

>> * It isn't true that the querty layout was devised to slow typists.

Nori> isn't it?  my understanding was that the qwerty layout was
Nori> invented to slow typewriter typists -- in the year or so i spent
Nori> using a typewriter before my family got its first computer, i'd
Nori> often jam the keys if i typed letters too close to each other.
Nori> could be urban legend, but it makes sense to me.

From what I heard, QWERTY was only designed to move frequent
combinations of letters apart, so that the hammers would not jam.  (e.g.
look at "the", "of", "in", "ph", "st" etc. on your keyboard.)  It was
not specifically designed to slow typists down, although this was a side
effect.

I don't particularly find Dvorak much faster, but I find it
significantly more comfortable.  My fingers hardly have to move when
typing.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA