Re: Dvorak keyboard

On Tue, 2002-07-30 at 17:19, Wendell Cochran wrote:
> On some keyboards, maybe, but on mine the keycaps of different rows sit
> at different angles.

There's the different angle problem, and some keyboards can't be changed
because the underside of the keycaps have notches, and if you rearrange
the keys, the notches don't always match up with the pegs on the
keyboard. I just use a qwerty keyboard, even though I touch type dvorak.

> As for Dvorak, well, we soon get into urban legend.  My sources aren't
> at hand, but
>
> * The original demonstration purporting to show Dvorak faster than
> qwerty was fudged.
>
> * It isn't true that the querty layout was devised to slow typists.

I've read lots of conflicting data there as well. However, the bottom
line for me is that I do type faster with dvorak than I did with qwerty.
I've used dvorak for 3 years now; I touch-typed qwerty for close to 20
years prior to that.

> On to tendonitis or carpal-tunnel syndrome or whatever.  Mine was
> brought on by a mouse, & I corrected matters by acquiring a touchpad (a
> Cirque Easy Cat), which is small enough that I can use it wherever it's
> most comfortable, even on my knee.

Ditto for me. In my case, I bought an industrial-strength trackball
(www.mousetrak.com). It hasn't completely eased my tendinitis, but it
has had a dramatic effect nonetheless.

--
Dave Carrigan