Re: Dvorak keyboard

on Tue, 30 Jul 2002 05:19:20PM -0700, Wendell Cochran insinuated:
> As for Dvorak, well, we soon get into urban legend.  My sources
> aren't at hand, but
>
> * The original demonstration purporting to show Dvorak faster than
> qwerty was fudged.

never heard of "the original demonstration", but speed really isn't my
issue.  i'm plenty fast at qwerty (man, that's fun to type with one
finger!).

> * It isn't true that the querty layout was devised to slow typists.

isn't it?  my understanding was that the qwerty layout was invented to
slow typewriter typists -- in the year or so i spent using a
typewriter before my family got its first computer, i'd often jam the
keys if i typed letters too close to each other.  could be urban
legend, but it makes sense to me.

> On to tendonitis or carpal-tunnel syndrome or whatever.  Mine was
> brought on by a mouse, & I corrected matters by acquiring a touchpad
> (a Cirque Easy Cat), which is small enough that I can use it
> wherever it's most comfortable, even on my knee.

unfortunately, mine's just caused by 9-5 geekage ... i'm hoping it
will go away soon!

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu