Re: todo list manager sought

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 08:23:16PM -0500, Richard Cobbe wrote:

<snip>

> > Yes, but curses apps rely on the terminal definitions in the terminfo
> > database, I believe. Terminfo has separate definitions for "linux" and
> > "xterm". This may cause it to behave oddly, since the two terminal
> > definitions are different. Seems I remembered that the console was based
> > on a VT100 and X terminal was based on VT102 or VT200, VT220, something
> > like that.
>
> Right, but I would think that the application can remain blissfully
> ignorant of the details of the terminfo definitions.  So long as the
> terminal in question supports the relevant operations, the application can
> simply invoke an operation (like, say, clear screen) and let ncurses worry
> about feeding the correct character sequence to the terminal itself.
>
> However, I've never actually done any ncurses programming, so I could be
> completely off-base here.

Yes, theoretically you're right. But there's something weird with the
interaction on xterms. I've seen in mostly with slang applications, like
mutt and jed. They both display oddly and so forth in X. But slang
bypasses curses, as I recall, and uses the terminfo capabilities
directly. I typically don't run console apps under X, so I haven't
testing this stuff extensively.

Still, your problem with the insertion of odd characters doesn't sound
like a curses problem. Maybe a key mapping problem with X? Dunno.
Anyway....

Paul