Re: [DEB-USER] Re: [DEB-USER] todo list manager sought

Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com> writes:

> On Sun, Jul 28, 2002 at 09:22:07PM -0500, Richard Cobbe wrote:
>
> > I just installed hnb 1.8.1 and fired it up to play with it.  Works
> > nicely under the console, but can't handle the non-alphabetic keys very
> > well in an xterm.
> >
> > So, for instance, under the console (TERM=linux), I hit INS to add a
> > new item, and it immediately drops me into the item editor, where I can
> > specify the text for the newly-created item.  So far so good.  In an
> > xterm, though (TERM=xterm), hitting INS creates the new item but adds
> > the characters `2z' to the beginning of its text automatically.
> >
> > Is this a bug in hnb, or in my setup?
> >

> Hmm. I don't see that behavior in my setup, which is stock Debian 3.0,
> USA locale. However, you can change the keybindings with:

What's your $TERM setting?  I get the same behavior when LANG=C or
LANG=en_US.

> It's not well documented, but under the key you wish to change, you must
> supply the proper numeric value. I've never tried this under an X
> environment, but have done so in the console, where showkey -m will tell
> you the numeric value of keys you press.

Running that under X is a bad idea: it grabbed *all* keyboard input.  I had
to log in from another machine to kill the showkey process, although in
retrospect I could have used the mouse to close the terminal window.

> <rant>
>
> It escapes me why the designers of the console and the designers of X
> chose to emulate two different types of terminals. It causes no end of
> compatibility problems with apps you run in both. And it seems like it
> would be a simple thing to change.
>
> </rant>

Isn't (n)curses supposed to address terminal differences like that in a
manner transparent to both the programmer and the user?

I've run other ncurses apps in an xterm before without any problems, which
leads me to suspect that this is a problem in the hnb/ncurses interaction.
I don't usually have to hit INS in those programs, though.

Richard