Re: [DEB-USER] Re: [DEB-USER] Re: [DEB-USER] todo list manager sought

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 08:16:37AM -0500, Richard Cobbe wrote:

> Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com> writes:
>
> > On Sun, Jul 28, 2002 at 09:22:07PM -0500, Richard Cobbe wrote:
> >
> > > I just installed hnb 1.8.1 and fired it up to play with it.  Works
> > > nicely under the console, but can't handle the non-alphabetic keys very
> > > well in an xterm.
> > >
> > > So, for instance, under the console (TERM=linux), I hit INS to add a
> > > new item, and it immediately drops me into the item editor, where I can
> > > specify the text for the newly-created item.  So far so good.  In an
> > > xterm, though (TERM=xterm), hitting INS creates the new item but adds
> > > the characters `2z' to the beginning of its text automatically.
> > >
> > > Is this a bug in hnb, or in my setup?
> > >

> > Hmm. I don't see that behavior in my setup, which is stock Debian 3.0,
> > USA locale. However, you can change the keybindings with:
>
> What's your $TERM setting?  I get the same behavior when LANG=C or
> LANG=en_US.

$TERM=xterm, $LANG=C

> > It's not well documented, but under the key you wish to change, you must
> > supply the proper numeric value. I've never tried this under an X
> > environment, but have done so in the console, where showkey -m will tell
> > you the numeric value of keys you press.
>
> Running that under X is a bad idea: it grabbed *all* keyboard input.  I had
> to log in from another machine to kill the showkey process, although in
> retrospect I could have used the mouse to close the terminal window.

Yeah, but it's supposed to timeout after 10 seconds of inactivity. Did
it do that?

> > <rant>
> >
> > It escapes me why the designers of the console and the designers of X
> > chose to emulate two different types of terminals. It causes no end of
> > compatibility problems with apps you run in both. And it seems like it
> > would be a simple thing to change.
> >
> > </rant>
>
> Isn't (n)curses supposed to address terminal differences like that in a
> manner transparent to both the programmer and the user?

Yes, but curses apps rely on the terminal definitions in the terminfo
database, I believe. Terminfo has separate definitions for "linux" and
"xterm". This may cause it to behave oddly, since the two terminal
definitions are different. Seems I remembered that the console was based
on a VT100 and X terminal was based on VT102 or VT200, VT220, something
like that.

> I've run other ncurses apps in an xterm before without any problems, which
> leads me to suspect that this is a problem in the hnb/ncurses interaction.
> I don't usually have to hit INS in those programs, though.

Well, you're welcome to look at the code, but from what I could see it
simply interacted via curses.

Paul