Re: [DEB-USER] Re: [DEB-USER] Re: [DEB-USER] todo list manager sought

Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 08:16:37AM -0500, Richard Cobbe wrote:
>
> > Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com> writes:
> >
> > > Hmm. I don't see that behavior in my setup, which is stock Debian 3.0,
> > > USA locale. However, you can change the keybindings with:
> >
> > What's your $TERM setting?  I get the same behavior when LANG=C or
> > LANG=en_US.
>
> $TERM=xterm, $LANG=C

Ok, matches mine.

> > > It's not well documented, but under the key you wish to change, you must
> > > supply the proper numeric value. I've never tried this under an X
> > > environment, but have done so in the console, where showkey -m will tell
> > > you the numeric value of keys you press.
> >
> > Running that under X is a bad idea: it grabbed *all* keyboard input.  I had
> > to log in from another machine to kill the showkey process, although in
> > retrospect I could have used the mouse to close the terminal window.
> >

> Yeah, but it's supposed to timeout after 10 seconds of inactivity. Did
> it do that?

No, but only because I didn't give it the chance.  Now that you mention it,
it does print out a message to that effect, but by that point, I was in
heavy PLOKTA mode....  <sheepish grin>

> Yes, but curses apps rely on the terminal definitions in the terminfo
> database, I believe. Terminfo has separate definitions for "linux" and
> "xterm". This may cause it to behave oddly, since the two terminal
> definitions are different. Seems I remembered that the console was based
> on a VT100 and X terminal was based on VT102 or VT200, VT220, something
> like that.

Right, but I would think that the application can remain blissfully
ignorant of the details of the terminfo definitions.  So long as the
terminal in question supports the relevant operations, the application can
simply invoke an operation (like, say, clear screen) and let ncurses worry
about feeding the correct character sequence to the terminal itself.

However, I've never actually done any ncurses programming, so I could be
completely off-base here.

Ah well; it's a fairly minor issue, and I'm not going to spend a huge
amount of time worrying about it.

Thanks for your help,

Richard