Re: can't connect to cable modem with kernel-image-2.4.18-686

Steinar Bang wrote:

Carel Fellinger <carel.fellinger@iae.nl>:

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no>:

Carel Fellinger <carel.fellinger@iae.nl>:

Otherwise simply try options=0, worked for me with a similar
problem with a 3Com 3C900.

Is this a universal thing for all modules?
[snip!]

Again from the source I guess that options=0 sets the media type to
10BaseT, but maybe you'll need options=12 to forcefully set it
[snip!]

OK, thanx!  I think I see what you mean.

I first tried options=0, which had no changes.  I then tried
options=12 to force 10BaseT. This gave the message eth1: Using user-specified media 10baseT(forced).
while waiting for the cable modem DHCP lease at boot.

But it didn't seem to get a lease, and when it had finished booting,
eth1 wasn't there.  So I guess it isn't 10/100 sensing either...?

Could I be loading the wrong driver for a DS21143 chip, perhaps?

For reference, here is what I did:

I first changed /etc/modules from

3c59x
tulip

3c59x
tulip options=0

For the second try, I changed it to

3c59x
tulip options=12

Thanx!

- Steinar

I have a similar problem with a NetGear card (tulip-based) using Cox Cable. I don't have a fix for you, but if you're interested in the details in case they'll provide a clue, here they are.

I have a friend who was having problems with her Win98 box. I suggested a rebuild, and as long as we were doing that, I convinced her to let me have two GB on the tail end of her drive for a Debian setup. She originally had a D-Link NIC, and after repartitioning and before rebuilding Win98 I installed Debian (using a Sid installer CD downloaded about May, then from the network (this all happened about June). The D-Link came right up and I was browsing and emailing fine from Linux. When I went to rebuild Win98, no matter what I did (and I've had quite a bit of experience with Windows 95/NT/2K, but not 98), no matter what I did, I could not get Win98 to properly install/use the drivers for the D-Link. Finally, in exaperation, I had her go purchase a NetGear card, because that's what I have on my two Debian boxes at home, albeit they're plugged into a Netgear 4-port switch/router which is connected to a Mototorla Surfboard cable modem and then to Cox Cable (Her modem is not a Motorola; I don't remember what it is, but I've seen the model at CompUSA; I want to say Toshiba). Win98 recognized the Netgear first try, and I was browsing and emailing fine from Windows. Rebooted back into Linux; now, no matter what I try, I can't get a DHCP address, and therefore no NIC connectivity. I hopped back into Windows and wrote down all the IP info (address, subnet, gateway) and manually plugged that data into the Linux side (as a static entry in /etc/network/interfaces), but even after restarting /etc/init.d/networking and even after a reboot, and other troubleshooting, I get pretty much the same symptoms you describe in an earlier post.

IIRC, I started with a stock 2.2 kernel, and finally decided to try a self-compiled 2.4.18 kernel, but I don't remember if I got that far yet (if I did, it didn't make a difference). I haven't had a chance to look at it in about a month (of course, Linux isn't high on her list of priorities to get working, since she's new to the idea of there even being anything other than Microsoft available for her PC).

Hopefully this'll maybe provide a clue that allows you to track down the issue.

Kent