Re: can't connect to cable modem with kernel-image-2.4.18-686

>>> Otherwise simply try options=0, worked for me with a similar
>>> problem with a 3Com 3C900.

>> Is this a universal thing for all modules?
[snip!]

> Again from the source I guess that options=0 sets the media type to
> 10BaseT, but maybe you'll need options=12 to forcefully set it
[snip!]

OK, thanx!  I think I see what you mean.

I first tried options=0, which had no changes.  I then tried
options=12 to force 10BaseT.  This gave the message
	eth1: Using user-specified media 10baseT(forced).
while waiting for the cable modem DHCP lease at boot.

But it didn't seem to get a lease, and when it had finished booting,
eth1 wasn't there.  So I guess it isn't 10/100 sensing either...?

Could I be loading the wrong driver for a DS21143 chip, perhaps?

For reference, here is what I did:

I first changed /etc/modules from

3c59x
tulip