can't connect to cable modem with kernel-image-2.4.18-686

Platform: Intel PII, debian testing
	  eth0: 3Com PCI 3c900 Cyclone 10Mbps TPO Vers LK1.1.16
	  eth1: Digital DS21143 Tulip rev 48 (Digital PC5510 built-in
	        network interface)
	  kernel-image-2.2.19 2.2.19-12
	  kernel-image-2.4.18-586
	  pump 0.8.11-5 DHCP client

I have a setup where eth1 above, is connected to a cable modem, and
eth0 is connected to my internal private network.  The machine works
as a bridge between my private home network and the rest of the
internet.  The external network card gets its address, and gw info
from DHCP, and the internal network card has its address set
statically.

This works fine when I use the 2.2.19 kernel listed above.  But when I
try using the 2.4.18 kernel listed above, I'm unable to contact
anything on eth1.

When I try letting eth1 get its address using DHCP, the initalization
halts for a long while, and then continues.  When I run ifconfig I see
only lo and eth0.

When I try setting the IP address for eth1 statically in
/etc/network/interfaces, to the same value it gets via DCHP, both eth0
and eth1 shows up after the boot have finished.

But I'm unable to ping anything on eth1.  I don't even get a response
from the address that it gets as default gateway when running the
2.2.19 kernel (set with "route add default gw" when the address has
been set statically).

I am able to ping other machines on the internal network connected to
eth0.

At first I thought that pump might be the culprit.  But then I should
have been able to set the address statically.  Or am I being fooled by
the cable modem not routing addresses for which no DHCP lease has been
given?  Though the lease given to 2.2.19 should still have been valid,
unless pump releases the lease on system shutdown?

Is there a Tulip problem in 2.4.x perhaps?

All hints and tips appreciated!

Thanx!

- Steinar