Re: gphoto2 and Olympus D-490

David,

On Wednesday 24 July 2002 11:34 pm, David Wright wrote:
> I am trying to get pictures off an "Olympus D-490 ZOOM", an old 2.1
> megapixel camera. It stores photos on a 32 MB flash card which can be
> inserted into a fish-shaped "USB SmartMedia Reader-Writer".
>
> lsusb shows that usb has recognized the device. But "gphoto2
> --list-files" asks me to specify a model and this camera doesn't appear
> on the list returned by "gphoto2 --list-cameras", although tons of other
> Olympus D-### cameras are.
>
> Does anyone here have a hint how to get photos off this camera?

Sure.  First, gphoto list archives reveal that the D-490Z should work with the
D-450z driver [1].

You'll have to hack gphoto2 in some way to get it to use that driver for your
camera.  I compiled gphoto2 from the deb-src package with [2] this hack to
get my Canon A40 working.  Your "hack" may be even simpler because, if my
googling is correct, the D-490 is not USB (otherwise you'd need to tell the
driver the USB vendor and product ids).  Before hacking the source I'd try
forcing the model as the D-450z.

Hope this helps,
David Richmond

1. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gphoto-devel&m=99887182006648&w=2