RE: Hotels and debian

On 25-Jul-2002 Matt Chipman wrote:
> All, bear with me on this ...
>
> We have just started to get international travellors with laptops connecting
> to our network.  They have fixed ip addresses and therfore cant connect
> without mods to their existing ip addresses.
>
> 2 of the travellers i spoke to today said the hotel they were staying at,
> you could connect through the hotel network and get net access (mainly mail)
> without manipulation of the existing ip addreses, just plug in and you were
> on.

as others have pointed out, the laptops having static IPs and functioning is
unlikely.  Do you mean that YOU are assigning them statics?  One thing to keep
in mind is dhcp can assign the same IP address every time giving someone a
static IP.  While many people use dhcp to allow hosts to appear and disappear
with dynamic IP addresses it was also designed to allow a company to change IPs
at one location (on a central server) rather than configer 100s or 1000s of
machines by hand or other means.