Re: gphoto2 and Olympus D-490

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 08:21:17AM -0700, David Richmond wrote:
> David,
>
> On Wednesday 24 July 2002 11:34 pm, David Wright wrote:
> > I am trying to get pictures off an "Olympus D-490 ZOOM", an old 2.1
> > megapixel camera. It stores photos on a 32 MB flash card which can be
> > inserted into a fish-shaped "USB SmartMedia Reader-Writer".
> >
> > lsusb shows that usb has recognized the device. But "gphoto2
> > --list-files" asks me to specify a model and this camera doesn't appear
> > on the list returned by "gphoto2 --list-cameras", although tons of other
> > Olympus D-### cameras are.
> >
> > Does anyone here have a hint how to get photos off this camera?
>
> Sure.  First, gphoto list archives reveal that the D-490Z should work with the
> D-450z driver [1].
>
> You'll have to hack gphoto2 in some way to get it to use that driver for your
> camera.  I compiled gphoto2 from the deb-src package with [2] this hack to
> get my Canon A40 working.  Your "hack" may be even simpler because, if my
> googling is correct, the D-490 is not USB (otherwise you'd need to tell the
> driver the USB vendor and product ids).  Before hacking the source I'd try
> forcing the model as the D-450z.

You don't have do do this to get your camera working. gphoto2 has a
--usbid which allows you to override a given usb IDs pair.
In the case of a serial driver, nothing at all is required except
specifying a compatible and supported model name.

And the current gphoto2 supports the A40 out of the box:

~$ gphoto2 --version
gPhoto (v2.1.0) - Bibliothèque multi plate-forme d'appareils numériques.
Copyright (C) 2000-2002 Scott Fritzinger et autres
 Publié sous Licence Publique Générale Amoindrie GNU (LGPL).
~$ gphoto2 --list-cameras | grep A40
   "Canon PowerShot A40"
~$ apt-cache policy gphoto2
gphoto2: