gphoto2 and Olympus D-490

I am trying to get pictures off an "Olympus D-490 ZOOM", an old 2.1 megapixel camera. It stores photos on a 32 MB flash card which can be inserted into a fish-shaped "USB SmartMedia Reader-Writer".

lsusb shows that usb has recognized the device. But "gphoto2 --list-files" asks me to specify a model and this camera doesn't appear on the list returned by "gphoto2 --list-cameras", although tons of other Olympus D-### cameras are.

Does anyone here have a hint how to get photos off this camera?