Hotels and debian

All, bear with me on this ...

We have just started to get international travellors with laptops connecting
to our network.  They have fixed ip addresses and therfore cant connect
without mods to their existing ip addresses.

2 of the travellers i spoke to today said the hotel they were staying at,
you could connect through the hotel network and get net access (mainly mail)
without manipulation of the existing ip addreses, just plug in and you were
on.

I have no reason to disbelieve these guys but i cant for the life of me work
out how the hotel is doing this.

Whatever they are doing, i want to do the same with Debian and segregate 5
lan points dedicated to this method of connectivity.

We already have several Debian machines and i would like to use one of these
machines if possible, maybe by using an extra NIC in the machine.

It must be some sort of reverse DHCP server or something (he says grasping
at straws??!!)

anyone have any ideas?

thanks

-Matt