Re: Hotels and debian

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 22:00:22 +1000 "Matt Chipman"
<mkchipman@optushome.com.au> wrote:

> All, bear with me on this ...
>
> We have just started to get international travellors with laptops
> connecting to our network.  They have fixed ip addresses and therfore
> cant connect without mods to their existing ip addresses.
>
> 2 of the travellers i spoke to today said the hotel they were staying
> at, you could connect through the hotel network and get net access
> (mainly mail) without manipulation of the existing ip addreses, just
> plug in and you were on.
>
> I have no reason to disbelieve these guys but i cant for the life of me
> work out how the hotel is doing this.

Any idea what the IP addresses were on these systems?  Perhaps it is
merely a coincidence that they had compatible IPs?

> Whatever they are doing, i want to do the same with Debian and segregate
> 5 lan points dedicated to this method of connectivity.
>
> We already have several Debian machines and i would like to use one of
> these machines if possible, maybe by using an extra NIC in the machine.
>
> It must be some sort of reverse DHCP server or something (he says
> grasping at straws??!!)
>
> anyone have any ideas?

If it wasn't just blind luck, I suppose it might be possible using a HUB
or directly wired connections (not a switch), to listen to ARP traffic for
new MAC addresses and trace a MAC back to an IP and then multi-home a
compatible IP to the desired router's NIC.  But this still leaves the
matter of the laptops most likely having a default gateway that we don't
know.  Although I suppose you could probably find the gateway address
based on traffic from a given machine.

Just some thoughts.

--
Jamin W. Collins