Re: 120GB Hard Disk, Debian and Partition Suggestions - /boot

[please don't cc: me on list mail. thanks]
[...]

> i claim w/ older (p3/p4 class) bios's  ...you will NOT be able to boot if
> your /boot/vmlinuz is NOT in a partition space under 8GB or 1024cyl...
> 	- thus everybody seems to go around creating a small /boot
> 	as their first partitions

Yes, the 1024 or the 8G limit did exist for some time. I'm not really
sure when which limitation was lifted (iirc the 1024cyl limit was a
problem with LILO, long after the BIOS supported LBA. Dunno about the 8G
limit - is it that one requiring 48bit LBA?)

In any case, all recent computers should not have this problem, so I've
never made /boot in recent years.

cheers
-- vbi

--