Re: CUPS, HP 1200, Install

On Thu, 2002-07-18 at 13:25, Bill Spears wrote:
> I'd like some help on the best install for an HP 1200 under a Debian Woody
> system using CUPS.  The CUPS is probably OK, as a previous printer worked on
> it. The 1200 is on the parallel port and works under windows.
>
> I tried the localhost:631 way and couldn't find the 1200 listed. The 1200
> supports postscript level 2 (emulated) and PCL 6.  I think the current level
> for PS is 3, so I'm not sure about using it. I don't  know whether to go with
> cupsomatic or gimp-print.
>
> I'm not sure what the deal is on the ppd's. I thought the docs said they
> should be in etc/cups/ppd but they appear to be in /usr/share/cups/model.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

# apt-get install hp-ppd

HP is one of the better printer manufacturers around as far as
supporting Linux goes - they've set up a project on SourceForge
specifically to support their printers, and I believe that hp-ppd is a
collection of the ppd's from there.  In any case, I just checked and it
does include a ppd for the 1200.

HTH,
--
Stephen Ryan                                        Debian GNU/Linux
Technology Coordinator