Re: CUPS, HP 1200, Install

On Friday 19 July 2002 06:12 am, Stephen Ryan wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-07-18 at 13:25, Bill Spears wrote:
> > I'd like some help on the best install for an HP 1200 under a Debian
> > Woody system using CUPS.  The CUPS is probably OK, as a previous printer
> > worked on it. The 1200 is on the parallel port and works under windows.
> >
> > I tried the localhost:631 way and couldn't find the 1200 listed. The 1200
> > supports postscript level 2 (emulated) and PCL 6.  I think the current
> > level for PS is 3, so I'm not sure about using it. I don't  know whether
> > to go with cupsomatic or gimp-print.
> >
> > I'm not sure what the deal is on the ppd's. I thought the docs said they
> > should be in etc/cups/ppd but they appear to be in /usr/share/cups/model.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
>
> # apt-get install hp-ppd
>
> HP is one of the better printer manufacturers around as far as
> supporting Linux goes - they've set up a project on SourceForge
> specifically to support their printers, and I believe that hp-ppd is a
> collection of the ppd's from there.  In any case, I just checked and it
> does include a ppd for the 1200.
>
> HTH,
> --
> Stephen Ryan                                        Debian GNU/Linux
> Technology Coordinator
> Center for Educational Outcomes
> at Dartmouth College

Thanks to Ryan and others. apt-get install hp-ppd worked. Don't forget to
restart cupsd to make new option show up in web admin prog. Boy was I glad to
see that hp1200 option show up!

I should add my 2 cents to the never ending "Red Hat switch to Debian"
thread. Red Hat is definitely easier to install, especially with that nasty
stable instead of testing bug in the network install. Whew that was
confusing. I got all kinds of errors on a computer with a recently replaced
mother board.  After a while, when I got a seg fault, I'd think, maybe it was
the memory not the board, or maybe it's the hard drive. So I installed it a
lot, alternating witn RH 7.2 installs to make sure it wasn't a hardware prob.

I've been using Linux (and Windows) awhile, but always was more of a user
than a sys admin, so RH was probably right for me, but I really didn't
understand much of anything about Unix.  Finally, I got comfortable enough
with Linux, that when a motherboard quit on my main computer, I decided to
switch to Linux. I decided on Debian because 1) I really admire the fact that
it is all user supported, 2) apt-get is supernaturally easy to use, and 3) I
need something that's reliable not cutting edge.  I don't blame RH at all,
but their business needs make them bring out stuff faster and less reliably
than is right for me. More expert friends of mine thrive on that and select
RH. I think my path, RH or Mandrake then Debian, is not a bad one.  It really
helps to know the basics about file systems, users and permissions before you
try Debian (at least a network install).

The key thing that makes Debian work for new users like me is this list.
Frankly, people coming from Windows might expect support in book form
(although XP appears to come with no manual), and it seems a little strange
to expose your ignorance to, literally, the whole world.  It's amazing the
misunderstandings one has when learning something completely new, they can be
pretty funny.

I've tried:
  apt-get search
  apt-get <package-name>
  apt-search
  dpkg -reconfigure
and many more entertaining and amusing half understood combinations.

As to us new guys not reading man pages, well frankly, they frequently don't
make sense until afer you understand the subject.  And we get so confused
with some problem that involves many facets of Unix, like devices, modules,
ipchains, starting and stopping daemons, that we just need someone to tell us
what to do in words of one or two syllables, which this list does and for
which I am extremely grateful.

And I bet you're not supposed to make long rambling posts either, :-)