Re: CUPS, HP 1200, Install

On Friday 19 July 2002 06:12 am, Stephen Ryan wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-07-18 at 13:25, Bill Spears wrote:
> > I'd like some help on the best install for an HP 1200 under a Debian
> > Woody system using CUPS.  The CUPS is probably OK, as a previous printer
> > worked on it. The 1200 is on the parallel port and works under windows.
> >
> > I tried the localhost:631 way and couldn't find the 1200 listed. The 1200
> > supports postscript level 2 (emulated) and PCL 6.  I think the current
> > level for PS is 3, so I'm not sure about using it. I don't  know whether
> > to go with cupsomatic or gimp-print.
> >
> > I'm not sure what the deal is on the ppd's. I thought the docs said they
> > should be in etc/cups/ppd but they appear to be in /usr/share/cups/model.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
>
> # apt-get install hp-ppd
>
> HP is one of the better printer manufacturers around as far as
> supporting Linux goes - they've set up a project on SourceForge
> specifically to support their printers, and I believe that hp-ppd is a
> collection of the ppd's from there.  In any case, I just checked and it
> does include a ppd for the 1200.
>
> HTH,
> --
> Stephen Ryan                                        Debian GNU/Linux
> Technology Coordinator
> Center for Educational Outcomes
> at Dartmouth College

Worked like a charm.
Thanks to Stephen and the list for all your help.

I wrote a long rambling comment about switching from Red Hat to Debian and
how helpful the list is to us confused new guys, but KMail must have some
undocumented feature that monitors compositions for relevance. It read mine
and commited suicide taking my email with it. The list is spared!